The Science Behind Essential Oils
When you hear the word “volatile,” you may think it holds a negative connotation; however, in the case of essential oils, volatility refers to a substance’s ability to change its state quickly. The chemical makeup of volatile aromatic compounds in essential oils allow them to disperse quickly through the air. This is why you can instantly smell the potent aroma of an essential oil from the moment you open the bottle—even from a distance.
How do Essential Oils Work?
As volatile aromatic compounds move quickly through the air, you will experience the scent when the compounds interact directly with sensors in the brain. With over 3,000 types of volatile aromatic compounds discovered so far, it is important to note that these compounds greatly determine the benefit, aroma, and nature of each essential oil. Because of unique chemical makeup, each essential oil will vary from species to species, and even from plant to plant. The delicate ratio of aromatic constituents found in any given essential oil are what make it unique and give it specific benefits.
Essential Oils for Body, Oral, Hair and Skin Care
- Acne face wash: To get rid of acne, make a homemade face wash by mixing tea tree oil (melaleuca) with raw honey and rub on your face. Then rinse off with water.
- Age spot reducer: Put on frankincense essential oil three times daily directly on skin to improve sun spots and age spots.
- Blistered skin healer: Mixing two drops of tea tree oil with two drops of unscented oil makes for a skin healing ointment. Apply to the blistered area up to five times per day.
- Body butter: Mix coconut oil, shea butter, magnesium oil and essential oils for moisturizing body lotion.
- Body spray: Add 5–10 drops to four ounces of water for a fragrant body spray.
- Breath freshener: Use a drop of peppermint essential oil (or Mentha piperita) for a natural way to freshen breath.
- Bruise healer: Using essential oils makes for a hot compress to treat bruises or other wounds. Add five drops of lavender oil and five drops of frankincense oil to four ounces of hot water and soak. Apply to affected area.
- Bug bite soother: Use lavender oil for bug bites and stings.
- Burn healer: Mix lavender essential oil with aloe vera to treat burns.
- Cellulite reducer: Mix five drops of grapefruit seed essential oil with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and massage into dimpled areas.
- Dandruff remover: Mix five drops of rosemary and lavender oils with three tablespoons of an unscented carrier oil such as jojoba oil. Massage into your scalp and leave on for 10 minutes. Shampoo mixture out.
- Deodorant for women: Combining coconut oil, beeswax and your favorite oils such as lavender and tea tree oil makes for a perfect female deodorant.
- Deodorant for men: Combine coconut oil, beeswax and your favorite oils like cedarwood and clove oil for men.
- Detox bath: Mix lavender oil, Epsom salts and sea salt to a warm bath to cleanse and rejuvenate the body.
- Dry, cracked feet soother: Add three drops of lavender oil to two tablespoons of coconut oil. Apply to the feet at night and put on some socks.
- Eczema/psoriasis cream: To treat eczema, psoriasis or red dry skin, apply a mixture of lavender essential oil with shea butter.
- Facial scrub: Mix one-fourth cup yogurt, one-fourth cup cornmeal, and five drops of lavender, grapefruit and patchouli oils. Apply to face and wash off.
- Facial sugar scrub: Mix a few drops of an essential oil with almond oil and rock salt or sugar to make your own salt or sugar scrub.
- Item Type: Essential Oil
- Essential Oil Type: Pure Essential Oil
- Ingredient: 10ml
- Country/Region of Manufacture: China
- Certificate Number: ZBY2101
- Brand Name: YIGANERJING
- Unit Type: piece
- Package Weight: 0.05kg (0.11lb.)
- Package Size: 33cm x 22cm x 11cm (12.99in x 8.66in x 4.33in)